Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Swimming and swimming and swimming some more

Big milestone this evening: I swam a mile non-stop! That's 36 laps in our YMCA pool.

When I look back a couple of years, I remember thinking that I'd never be able to swim that far. But now...no problem.

This week is the last of 12 weeks of base training in all three events—in addition to long swims, Alex and I have been doing interval workouts in the pool with our tri club once a week. I've spent a lot of time on the bike trainer in the basement, watching The Daily Show, Angel, Glee, or reading my Kindle, and Jasper and I have hit the roads a bunch, building up to a 12 mile long run this week.

We're seven weeks from our first triathlon of the season, back at King Pine for Year 3 (Year 1, Year 2). The big question is whether, as I head into a busy 3 months (adult inpatient service, 2 more weeks of surgery, 2 weeks of night call, and pediatric/OB inpatient service) I can keep up the training. It's time to get outside on the bike, and to add in some hills and speedier workouts on foot. Time will tell...