Monday, June 28, 2010

Milestone

Good grief. I passed a milestone in home ownership last weekend, and I'm not too proud of it.

Hi, my name is Alex, and I own a weed whacker.

You see, I don't put much stock in keeping a neat lawn. It is not that I don't appreciate the sight and feel of a nice, lush, trimmed patch of green turf. But, really, I am not prepared to put in the necessary time, effort, money, and crazy materials to make it happen. It's about all I can do to break out the reel mower every now and then. Actually, it doesappear to be more than I can do - because the grass in the front and back yards got a bit tall and went to seed. Once it gets that tall, the reel doesn't cut it so much as just roll it down. The patches of lawn on either side of the front walk, about 10' x 10', also happen to be elevated, so lifting any mower up onto it is a bit of a pain.

So I let it go, and go, until my wife of great patience finally told me that the neighbors were getting afraid, and I needed to do something about it. So, alright, I went out to get a weed whacker. Despising lawn tools that suck down gasoline, I ended up with a nice cordless model. It seems to have enough power to knock down the tall grass. I also used it to clear the spaces between the planter boxes and fence in the back.

Now that we've finally had a bit of rain, I just might need to do a bit more work soon.

Can't I just dump a whole bag of prairie seed on it already and call it done?

1 comment:

Mark Alvarez said...

Here ya go..."Guerilla Gardening."

http://thecommonstudio.com/index.php?/project/greenaid/