Wednesday, May 14, 2008

So Far, So Good!

Just a quick update from your friendly correspondent in Arizona!

I am settling in very well here. The apartment, though in the midst of suburban jumble (everything for miles seems to be either condo/townhome communities or strip malls), is quite comfortable, and my high-speed internet got hooked up yesterday without a hitch.

The consultants and residents have been easy to work with so far. Monday was just an orientation day, and I was done early enough to go out grocery shopping and make lunches and dinners for the rest of the week, anticipating long days. Yesterday (Tuesday) was my first day in the operating room, though my consultant had both of her cases canceled. I had spent part of Monday evening reviewing hernia repairs and groin anatomy in anticipation of these operations, and was very nervous when the resident told me that he'd find me some other surgeries to watch, since I hadn't studied anything else! Luckily, I ended up scrubbing in on three hernia repairs, so got to put some of that knowledge to use. They had me suturing within about 10 seconds of walking up to the table, and my fingers thankfully remembered what to do, even though it's been months!

Today was an outpatient clinic day, when the surgeons see pre and postop patients. Not too much for me to do, except to tag along and try to see/feel interesting clinical findings. Tomorrow we're in the OR again. At some point I'll post a much more detailed entry about what I'm up to surgery-wise, but for now I need to get to bed! The schedule has actually been very good so far, I arrive about 6:30-6:45 and have been out in the late afternoon.

Alex is arriving on Friday evening, which I am really looking forward to! We've also been able to videoconference each night using iChat, which is WAY more fun than talking on the phone, and even means that I can have a look at Jasper. He's going to bring the camera, so then I can post some photos of the desert surroundings. (It was a "cool" 75 degrees yesterday...most days it is in the 90s, and will be over 100 soon.)

No comments: